I go to local thrift stores (primarily non-profit) and usually bring home a large quantity of department store and designer clothing and shoes by spending only $30-$45 and a few hours looking for fashion items to be worn with my existing wardrobe.


The goal is to is to inform women of the fashion affordability of shopping at thrift stores, the benefit of donating, and how these organizations help disadvantaged, recovering and abused men, women and children.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Fashion Thriftology's Style Warrior Ritual



The Preparation (Before shopping...)

I always try to shop for (casual and work) clothes and shoes that add more diversity to pieces in my closet. So when I venture out to my favorite thrift stores I always have the following:
  • A specific item, in a certain color(s) in mind to look for
  • A specific amount in cash to spend (I typically take $45) 
  • An eye for quality fabric and construction, as well as designer names
  • Comfortable clothing and shoes on for easy try-on in the fitting room
  • Plenty of leisure time to look through the racks 

The Contribution (While shopping...)

I never use a shopping cart - that's a good way to bust your (cash) budget and reach for the credit card. When my arms get tired or too full with clothing - that's when I go to the fitting room. I use the time in the fitting room to do a try-on and inspect the pieces closely for any rips, holes, stains, missing buttons, etc. As I try on each piece, I divide them into three piles:
  • Definite (fits perfectly, no defects)
  • Maybe (fits okay or perfect - but not sure I like it enough to purchase)
  • Absolutely No (bad fit or defective)
I then begin to add up my purchase and look for any discounts. (One particular thrift store I regularly shop has daily discounts ranging from 20-80% off - depending on the color of the price ticket on the item.) Luckily for me, most of the time I'm right on budget or less (leaving with three of more plastic shopping bags). I totally attribute staying within budget by not using a shopping cart.


Appreciation (I go home...)

Always excited about my purchase, I lay them out and then shop my closet to create outfits. Since I'm a fashion warrior, it can take me hours to construct different outfits with alternating shoes, purses and jewelry (so much fun).

Then I look at the laundering instructions for my thrift store finds. If they are machine washable, I turn the items inside-out, wash in cold water, hang dry, and if needed - steam iron. (All dry clean recommended items and dark denim are taken to the cleaners.)  

The Surrender (Give more...)

To keep me humble and prevent closet clutter, I donate an item of clothing for every piece I purchase. I look for clothing pieces and shoes that I haven't worn in a long time, or never worn more than once for whatever reason. I also donate gently used household items as well to cut down on clutter when I do my spring and winter cleaning. 

The thrift stores I frequent are a non-profit organizations and use the sales proceeds to assist disadvantaged men, women and children who are rebuilding their lives after (drug and physical) abuse, homelessness, and imprisonment. They are always in need of donations and shoppers to continue their missions. And we - the donor - receive a tax write-off for the value of the donated item(s), as well as a good feeling of giving to a worthy cause.           


No comments:

Post a Comment