I go to local thrift stores (primarily non-profit) and usually bring home a large quantity of department store and designer clothing and shoes by spending only $30-$45 and a few hours looking for fashion items to be worn with my existing wardrobe.


The goal is to is to inform women of the fashion affordability of shopping at thrift stores, the benefit of donating, and how these organizations help disadvantaged, recovering and abused men, women and children.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Oh what a Harlem Night!

I was invited to a "Harlem Nights" party on Saturday. For those who do not know what that is - it's a themed party based on the movie Harlem Nights that starred Eddie Murphy, Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor, among other notable African-American actors and actresses. The movie was based on the 1920's Harlem Renaissance (funny movie - Google it!).

I knew it wasn't going to be easy to find a dress for my current figure (which I'm not too proud of) - but I made an online catalog search and found the perfect dress on K.Jordan.com - so I ordered two sizes and paid $30 for express mail to get this dress on time for the party.

The dress was beautiful - yet disappointing. My normal size was too snug and short for my taste (a bit above the knee), but the size up was three inches longer - yet a bit too roomy in the bust (had to wear a push-up bra and lace top slip). With only two days left before the party - I wore the larger dress.

Those who know me personally are aware that I wear my hair naturally. Due to the rainy weather and the theme - I decided to buy a wig to fit with the 1920's theme. When my son saw me in the full outfit - he didn't recognize me (no glasses and a longer, straight hair).

I showed this picture to my mom and she had to do a double-take!
I didn't like the dress on me - but it worked out for the event. I spent $90 ($60 + $30 S/H) for a dress that I'll probably never wear again.

2 comments: