I go to local thrift stores (primarily non-profit) and usually bring home a large quantity of department store and designer clothing and shoes by spending only $30-$45 and a few hours looking for fashion items to be worn with my existing wardrobe.


The goal is to is to inform women of the fashion affordability of shopping at thrift stores, the benefit of donating, and how these organizations help disadvantaged, recovering and abused men, women and children.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

"Pleather" Binging and Groupons

Recently I discovered that I could wear dresses. I always thought that no dress could camouflage the more than ample parts of my body unless there was a sweater or jacket over it.

I'm at a stage of my life where I'm more comfortable with my body. There were certain pieces I've always wanted - such as a dress with leather in it. Although I can't afford genuine leather - I did find a great facsimile. So about a month ago, I coveted a "pleather" (or faux leather) and spandex dress in a mail-order catalog. I kept the book, and would look at it occasionally, saying that I will get the courage to purchase it. Every time I looked at the ear-marked page, I thought about ways I could make it work-wearable (which I did figure out with pieces I already owned). So last week, after reading the online reviews of the dress - I made the purchase. I will wait for the weather to get tights-wearing cooler for its work debut.

I wish I had her arms! 


I wish I could say that the dress was my only purchase last week, but nooooo...I was cruising the apparel section of Groupon, and I found three pieces for prices that I couldn't believe!

I found a YAL New York dress with faux leather accent in blue, and two ABS by Allen Schwartz coats. I've been searching for a car coat for some time, but I couldn't find one that called my name - nor was in my price range - until now...

She doesn't look too happy wearing this dress, but I will, because I paid $20.93. 

I absolutely love this faux leather and wool coat! It's retail priced at $238.00 and I paid $50.93.


I thought this coat was unique, so I bought it. It's retail priced at $158.00 and I paid $50.93 for this one too!

No more catalogs or Groupon apparel surfing until next year!

2 comments:

  1. You are a great shopper. . I need you to be my fashion consultant -- on a budget!! :-)

    ReplyDelete