I go to local thrift stores (primarily non-profit) and usually bring home a large quantity of department store and designer clothing and shoes by spending only $30-$45 and a few hours looking for fashion items to be worn with my existing wardrobe.


The goal is to is to inform women of the fashion affordability of shopping at thrift stores, the benefit of donating, and how these organizations help disadvantaged, recovering and abused men, women and children.

Monday, January 18, 2016

So Why is NeNe on Fashion Police???

I must admit that since the great funny woman Joan Rivers passed I haven’t been interested in watching E!’s Fashion Police. The last time I actually watched a full episode was when Guiliana Rancic made the “patchouli” remark about actress/singer Zendaya. I wasn’t as outraged as others were, but I was underwhelmed by the commentators and Joan's replacement Kathy Griffin.
So last week as I was channel-surfing I noticed Fashion Police was on. At first I was startled by how much Melissa Rivers resemble her mother, and then I saw and heard NeNe Leakes giving her “haterade” comment and look as usual. I listened to the other commentators, and then proceeded to another channel.
I’ll be the first to say “Bravo” for NeNe's success. Her story is remarkable and so is her resilience in the entertainment industry where a woman of her age and statuesque would normally not get a call from a casting director. Her success with the hit TV series Glee, reality show RHOA, and Broadway deserves applause. I would never downplay those accomplishments – however I do feel the need to question whether she’s the right one to be a fashion commentator.
I 'm aware that NeNe has a fashion line on HSN, and she’s always impeccably dressed. But I’ve seen her on previous episodes of Fashion Police and she really has nothing to add to the conversation about how a celebrity dresses – only the “haterade” comment and look. Guiliana and the others typically get into specifics regarding fit, if it’s appropriate for the occasion, or if the photograph or video clip of the celebrity really shows the intricate details of the dress, etc…NeNe provides none of that.
While she can be entertaining (and sometimes stand-offish) on other television shows, but on Fashion Police - I feel nothing. I think she needs to work on being more detailed with her fashion assessments on the show, and give less attitude and "face". The 'tude and face are good for RHOA or an acting role, but not for a show where she has the opportunity to be seen as a fashion authority and designer.


No comments:

Post a Comment